Postby Heidrek » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi, will this work on a vista 64 OS?
Heidrek

Vista 64

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Vista 64

Postby gatebumper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:50 pm

My experience with shrink has been good with Vista x86. However, I upgraded to Vista x64, and I get DVD's that play perfectly on my PC, but play out of sequence on standard DVD players. I first blamed Nero 9, as I had upgraded Nero as well. I rolled back to Nero 8, and reburned the DVD's that gave me problems with Nero 9 as the ripped movies were still on my hard drives. These movies now play perfectly everywhere. Well, just used shrink and Nero 8 together as always, and result was playback on PC perfect, on starndard DVD player out of sequence. Obviously, Nero 9 was not the issue. The only other change I made was my Vista x64 installation. As I said, shrink/Nero on Vista x86 worked flawlessly. I'm enjoying the performance of Vista x64 too much to go back to Vista x86. So, from here on out looks like I'll be ripping/shrinking to hard drive, then burning with Nero. If anyone is having a better or different experience with x64, I"d love to hear about it.........
gatebumper

Postby steveB » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:09 pm

I don't think 64 bit is a problem, but there can be issues related to Vista and Data Execution Prevention (see FAQ at the top of the Forum Page under Announcements).

PS: Why not forget Nero and use ImgBurn instead?
http://www.imgburn.com
It's free, easy to use (once you read the instructions / look at the menu options) and "does what it says on the tin", without spurious extras. Nero seems to get more bloated every time I look at it.

I always make DVD on hard drive first, then I can play it with VLC (or whatever player you have) to check that I've got what I want before I commit to disk. Sometimes it's better to do the job in a couple of steps rather than going for the 'one button' approach. VLC will also play directly from the .iso (image) file.
http://www.videolan.org
steveB

Postby desaint » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:10 am

My old PC, running Windows XP Pro, DVD Shrink and Nero 7 on my old PC (Intel Pentium D dual core), the result was always a good burn.

On my new PC (core I7 system) running Windows XP Pro, DVD Shrink and Nero 9, I also get DVDs that play out of sequence. Very strange indeed. The new box is set up to dual boot XP Pro and Vista 64. I get the same results under Vista 64 as I do under XP Pro. Only difference from what you are getting is that the disks play out of sequence everywhere - windows, dedicated player, etc.

If I use Nero Recode instead of DVD Shrink, the disks are fine and play everywhere that I have tried them. I would prefer to use DVD Shrink as I think the quality is a little better...

If anyone has a fix for this, it would be very appreciated!
desaint

Postby T_rock » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:03 pm

I too am having problems ripping them on my new laptop with vista 64. I still dont understand what I have to do to get it to rip and decode them with it, but my question is what can i play the VOB files on laptop? (after ripping them on my other pc with XP and storing to Ext HD). I can play them with windows media player and real player on xp machine but the wont play on my vista machine. says unrecognizable format.

I always make DVD on hard drive first, then I can play it with VLC (or whatever player you have) to check that I've got what I want before I commit to disk. Sometimes it's better to do the job in a couple of steps rather than going for the 'one button' approach. VLC will also play directly from the .iso (image) file.
http://www.videolan.org[/quote]
T_rock

Postby P_Schneider » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:03 am

Hello everyone,
Well I've been burning for over a year using the vista 64 and dvdshrink/nero 8 combo (full disk backup) and up until recently, say the last month or so, everything worked fine. Then I started noticing what you people have been describing, the burn works fine on WMP but plays out of order on on my philips dvd player, same player that played fine before so something changed. I have not updated nero, dvdshrink, or any of the hardware drivers so that pretty much leaves the OS. I'm not sure what updated did it but I would bet money M$ is responsible for this issue. I'll post back if figure out which update did it if that is indeed the case.
P_Schneider

Postby Chetwood » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:25 am

P_Schneider wrote: I have not updated nero, dvdshrink, or any of the hardware drivers so that pretty much leaves the OS.

Or the current movies you're ripping which might come with newer copy protections.
Chetwood
Site Moderator

Return to English